Paper Contest in 2017
The Special Interest Group on International Information Issues (SIG-III) of the Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T) hereby announces the opening of its 17th International Paper Contest for LIS Professionals in Developing countries, for the 2017 Annual Meeting, which will take place in Washington DC (Crystal City, Virginia) from October 27- November1, 2017. https://www.asist.org/events/annual-meeting/annual-meeting-2017/.
The theme of the Annual Meeting is: “Diversity of Engagement: Connecting People and Information in the Physical and Virtual Worlds.” This theme provides an opportunity for information science researchers – including academics practitioners, to discuss the impact of their research on industry, government, local/national/global community groups, individuals, information systems, libraries/museums/galleries, and on other practice contexts. It highlights the focus on Applied Research, which recognizes that basic research in information science is also inspired by, and/or connected to, information practice contexts. Papers could discuss issues, policies and case studies on specific aspects of the theme from a local and/or international perspective.
Topics include, but are not limited to the following core areas:
- Impact on Individuals: information behavior, information retrieval, human-computer interaction, social media use, information literacy, etc.
- Impact on Society: digital citizenship, cultural engagement, archival preservation, policy development, copyright, intellectual property, infometrics, information access, etc.
- Impact on Organizations: information architecture, knowledge management, competitive intelligence, linked data and big data, digital curation, records and archives management, etc.
- Impact on Systems & Technology: cloud computing, digital libraries, automatic indexing, social tagging, classification, semantic web, database design, web usability, etc.
- Impact on Information Contexts: health, education, law; environment, agriculture, business, etc.
A panel of judges will select three winners. The panel is composed of Innocent Awasom (Texas Tech University, USA), Shimelis Assefa (University of Denver, USA), Premila Gamage (Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka), Devendra Dilip Potnis (University of Tennessee at Knoxville, USA) and Fatih Oguz (UNC Greensboro, USA)
The papers will be judged on the following:
- Originality of paper in the developing world and global information ecosystem
- Relevance to the paper contest theme and
- Quality of argument, presentation and organization
Eligibility & Information for authors:
Only papers by a principal author who is a citizen of, and resides in a developing country are eligible. Winners of the 2010-2016 contests are not eligible. The papers should be original, unpublished, and submitted in English. We encourage submissions from librarians, information and network specialists, and educators involved in the creation, representation, maintenance, exchange, discovery, delivery, and use of digital information.
The first-place winner will receive a minimum of $1,000 towards offsetting the costs of attending the 2017 ASIS&T Annual Conference in Washington DC. In addition, all three winners will receive a two-year individual membership in ASIS&T. In case of multiple authors, the principal author will be awarded the ASIS&T membership.
The international paper contest committee requires that submissions follow the International Information and Library Review instructions to authors. Detailed information is available under the heading, Guide for Authors at: http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?journalCode=ulbr20&pa...
ASIS&T Copyright Policy:
ASIS&T will have the non-exclusive right to publish any of the papers submitted on its web site or in print, with ownership and all other rights remaining with the author.
Deadline for submission of full papers: Authors are invited to submit manuscripts, not to exceed 5,000 words, by June 15th, 2017 via email to email@example.com, preferably as Microsoft Word or PDF attachment.
Thanks and we look forward to receiving your papers