Standards Committee: 2013 Activities (Last Updated 5/17/2013)
- Did not provide any comments onJTC 1/SC 27 New work item proposal for Information technology - Security techniques - Electronic discovery
Note: Since this is being developed by a committee that ISO TC46 only has a liaisin relationship with - NISO can not vote on this new work item - only provide comments
- Voted YES on New Work Item Proposal for Information and documentation - Interlibrary Loan Transactions - with the following comments:
The ISO ILL standard needs to be updated to take advantage of more modern technology - and to make the ILL process more streamlined
Comments provided by Mark Needleman
- Voted YES on Approval of NISO Proposed New Work Item: Develop Specification for Open Access Metadata and Indicators
- Voted YES on Approval of NISO Z39.93-201X, The Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) Protocol
- Voted YES on the vote for the approval of Trent C. Palmer as alternate U.S. representative to ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency.
- Voted YES on the Revision of NISO Z39.7-201x, Information Services and Use: metrics & statistics for libraries and information providers -- Data Dictionary - This a revision of the 2004 version of the standard
- Voted YES on Reactivation of TC46/SC10 Physical Keeping of Documents
- Voted YES on Request from International ISBN Agency to become A-category liaison to ISO/TC46 SC4
- Provided the following Comments on ISO/CD 24517-2.4, Document management - Engineering document format using PDF - Part 2: Use of ISO 3200-2 including support for long-term preservation (PDF/E-2):
1) The idea that a specialist community extends a core standard to better suit their domain requirements as engineering are doing here with reference to the use of PDF specifically for engineering documentation is well established, and is definitely the kind of thing that NISO and other standards bodies should encourage (the alternative is less interoperable domain specific standards).
2) The extensions seem sensible and provide greater grounding for this community.
3) From a records keeping and digital preservation standpoint obviously there are concerns that encryption is applied sparingly to electronic materials, otherwise long term access and usability is in question. While the standard allows that PDF/E2 documents are not encrypted, our specific concerns are whether or not this default will be applied by software tool developers. We know that's not something that the standard can deal with, but its very relevant to the broader information management context.
Comments provided by Baden Hughes
- Submitted No Comments Provided on New Work Item Proposal for Assessing trusted systems for compliance with industry standards and best practices
- Voted NO on New Work Item Proposal for Portable Document Format - Part 2: PDF 2.0 - with the following Comments:
ASIS&T agrees with the comments provided by NFAIS and does not, in principle agree with the idea of taking company proprietary standards and making them into national or international standards
Comments provided by Mark Needleman
- Provide No Comments on Liaison technical specification ISO/IEC DTS 17023, Conformity Assessment — Guidelines for Determining Duration of Management System Certification Audits
- Voted YES on ISO/DTR 18800, Information and documentation -- Implementation guidelines for disposition of records
- Voted YES on ISO/DTR 18128, Information and documentation - Risk identification and assessment for records systems
- Voted ABSTAIN on New Work Item Proposal, ISO/NP 30302 Information and documentation - Management systems for records - Guidelines for implementation
- Voted YES on ISO/CD 18626, Information and documentation -- Interlibrary Loan Transactions - with the following comments:
Since this is a document under active development ASIST votes YES at this stage. However there are many things in the document that need to be fleshed out, issues that need to be considered, and vague language that needs to be cleared up before we believe this is ready for standardization.
There are also some complexities of the ILL process that the document does not currently address that we believe need to be considered before this can advance to standardization. Among them are
a) stages of the ILL process beyond the initial request that the document does not currently consider or deal with
b) authentication issues of both the borrower and lending agencies
Comments provided by Mark Needleman - Recommendation for YES vote provided by Gail Thornburg
- Voted YES on ISO CD 5127 Information and Documentation - Vocabulary
- Voted APPROVE for the election of Gerry Grenier, Senior Director, Publishing Technologies at IEEE, Inc. to the position of Vice-Chair of the NISO Board of Directors for 2013-2014 and Chair for 2014-2015
- Voted for the Following People for Election to the NISO Board of Directors:
Evan Owens, Chief Information Officer at AIP Publishing, LLC
B. Tommie Usdin, President, Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
Xuemao Wang, Dean and University Librarian, University of Cincinnati