and IA or "How to Stop Worrying and Love Your Techies"
9:30 - 10:00
Programming and IA or "How to Stop Worrying and Love Your Techies"
Wistow is a programmer for Yahoo!
Programmers and Information Architects
have much in common, yet cross discipline interaction seems to, mostly, be limited
to project meetings and the occasional snide comment on mailing lists. Whilst
this is understandable - both disciplines are an uneasy mix of science and art
- it remains a shame since, in the family tree of information smiths, IAs and
coders are the closest thing there is to kissing cousins. Both deal in the generation,
organization and manipulation of data and, as such, have much to learn from each
- many problems that IAs face are directly orthogonal to problems already 'solved'
in Computer Science and lessons learnt, for example, in file system implementation,
OO and Database design can be mapped to IA concepts such as content models and
faceted classification. Of course, the reverse is also true.
will attempt to:
* Give Information Architects a glimpse into the working
methodologies of programmers and how we view you.
* Hopefully dispel some
myths about techies.
* Talk about CS concepts in relation to Information Architectures
.. and finally
* Suggest how IAs and programmers can work together more effectively
without resorting to flamewars and rhetoric.
As an encore it may try and
bring about world peace.
View the Conference