Microsoft Research New England (MSRNE) is looking for advanced PhD students to join the Social Media Collective (SMC) for its 12-week 2016 Intern Program. The Social Media Collective scholars at MSRNE bring together empirical and critical perspectives to address complex socio-technical issues. Our research agenda draws on a social scientific/humanistic lens to understand the social meanings and possible futures of media and communication technologies. The ideal candidate may be trained in any number of disciplines (including anthropology, communication, information studies, media studies, sociology, science and technology studies, or a related field), but should have a strong social scientific or humanistic methodological, analytical, and theoretical foundation, be interested in questions related to media or communication technologies and society or culture, and be interested in working in a highly interdisciplinary environment that includes computer scientists, mathematicians, and economists. Continue reading Microsoft Research New England (MSRNE) is looking for advanced PhD students
You are a Library and/or Information Science (LIS) Student from Europe?
You are working on an exciting research topic and want to share your work with others?
Your thesis was not produced to gather dust on a shelf?
If you can answer all these questions with YES then you should participate in the MOVIE MEETS SCIENCE contest for LIS Students in Europe!
Submission deadline: February 15, 2016 Continue reading Submit a video to the MOVIE MEETS SCIENCE contest!
How to submit?
- You need a research topic you want to present in a video. It does not necessarily have to be a thesis. Research projects and team projects are also welcome.
- You need an advisor (e.g. your professor). Your professor should know about your amazing work and we will contact him or her, if you win the contest.
- Create a video. There are many tutorials online that could be helpful. Here are some links:
- Integrate our start image. It should be shown during the first three seconds of your video.
- Submit your video in one of the following file formats:
- Video length: The video should not exceed five and fall below three minutes length!
- Language: English only!
There are 3 Phd positions available and one Postdoc position available within the project “Digital Crossings in Europe: Gender, Diaspora and Belonging”(CONNECTINGEUROPE). This project is funded by the European Research Council (ERC), by way of a Consolidator Grant awarded to the principal investigator (PI) Prof. dr. Sandra Ponzanesi (Professor of Gender and Postcolonial Studies, Utrecht University, the Netherlands) and will be running at Utrecht University, the Netherlands from 2016-2021.
Continue reading Digital Crossings in Europe: Gender, Diaspora and Belonging – Open Positions PhD and PostDoc
Call for Papers
BOBCATSSS: January 27-29, 2016
Deadline for abstract submission: September 15 2015
BOBCATSSS 2016 explores the main theme of Information, Libraries, and Democracy through several key topics: The Role of Libraries in Democratic Cultures, Intellectual Freedom and Censorship, Libraries, Open Access and Open Data, and Protecting Privacy. Continue reading BOBCATSSS – LYON 2016
we are happy to present you the summer newsletter of the European Student Chapter.
Topics of ESC_Newsletter_Jun15 are:
– the ESC community – membership, election of the ESC board in Semptember
– “I was at..” – four students report on their conference attendance
– the ASIS&T Annual Meeting 2016 in Copenhagen
– News on upocoming events, conferences and awards
– Information on our YouTube channel
Download the ESC_Newsletter_Jun15 as PDF.
Have a nice summer
Your ESC board